1. Waste Papers and Sawdust
Waste Papers and Sawdust
We collect papers from the University of Dschang, particularly from the media center of the university, from offices, photocopiers and from thrash cans around the various classrooms and amphis.
We also collect papers from photocopiers and secretariats at the entrance of the campus and in the town of Dschang.
Sawdust is obtained from sawmills around the city center
We produce bio-briquettes of 12cm3, using the artisanal machine we invented. We sell them for 25FCFA per briquette.
- Reduce burning of waste papers within the campus and the locality of Dschang. (We target 0% burning by December 2019).
- Reduce the high reliance on wood as the major source of cooking fuel.
2. Animal and Household Wastes
We collect animal wastes from our poultry(2000 chicks) and from the University’s ranch and use in our biodigester.
Household wastes are collected from 79 registered households, which we also use alongside the animal wastes collected to produce biogas.
Organic Manure from slurry
- We use the waste to produce biogas through biodigestion.
- We produce 50 liters, 100 liters and 250 liters of portable biodigesters.
- The Left over slurry is used to produce organic manure in both liquid and dried form, which is used in our experimental farms.
- Provide fuel alternatives.
- Provide organic manure as a substitute to chemical manure.
- Maintain the soil’s PH balance.
In April 2014, a government ban on non-biodegradable plastic bags came into effect.
We collect plastics wastes from the locality. Our users uses bulk SMS to alert us.
We also have the Green Cite project, whereby pre-sorting takes place in hostels, which we give prizes to the best hostels
- Building materials obtained from recycled plastics.
- Students have spices in their rooms in exchange of plastic bottles.
- Pollution and soil degradation reduced